09 Sep Vegan Beer Brats Recipe (for the men)
If you’ve been craving a great vegan replacement for this classic German dish, look no further! This recipe is easy-to-follow and perfect for your last summer cook-out or a crisp fall evening!
What You Will Need:
- 1 1/4 cup Vital Wheat Gluten
- 1/4 cup Nutritional Yeast
- 1 tsp Fennel Seeds
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 tsp Rubbed Sage
- 1/2 tsp Dry Mustard Powder
- 1/2 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Ground Pepper
- 1/4 tsp Allspice
- 1/2 cup Cannellini Beans (rinsed and drained)
- 1 Tbs White Miso Paste
- 2 Tbs Soy Sauce (low sodium)
- 1 cup Beer (We recommend Hofbrau, but you can pick your favorite!)
- 1/4 tsp Liquid Smoke
What to Do:
- Whisk all dry ingredients together in a large bowl until thoroughly mixed.
- Blend all wet ingredients until smooth.
- Add wet ingredients to dry and mix together to form a loose dough.
- Cover and let rest. Use this time to prepare foil sheets and steamer.
- Add 1-2 inches of water to steamer before turning on.
- Pull off 5 sheets of aluminum foil, making them square.
- Cut dough into 5 equal pieces and shape into logs 5-6″ long.
- Roll each log in foil and twist edges to seal. (You can use parchment paper in between the brats and the foil if preferred; the foil is needed to retain the shape of the logs.)
- Steam for 45 minutes.
- Let rest 30 minutes.
- Fry in a pan, grill for additional browning, or dig right in!
- Add your favorite topping, like caramelized onions or mustard, and enjoy with your favorite beer!
For more great vegan recipes and blogs, check out http://www.brandnewvegan.com!